Our visual design standards are mostly oriented toward print, but I’ve been working with our print folks to come up with standard adaptations for the web.
Most successful so far has been our color standardization. We have standard Pantone colors that we use in print, but of course there’s no one-to-one correspondence between Pantone and RGB, so we were getting (in one case) four different versions of Pantone 201 on one page.
The solution was to set up a set up test pages with the background set to the various RGB interpretations:
We then asked everyone in the office to pull up the test and walked around with Pantone cards to determine which was closest to the color we wanted. For the rest of the colors, we figured out how the winning RGB value for Pantone 201 was derived, then used the same process to derive all the others. Here are the results:
For fonts, we informally translate Warnock as Georgia and Vectora as Verdana or Tahoma. Need to get that in the official manual someday-but as we don’t allow our web contributors to change fonts when using our CMS, we don’t have many problems with strange font choices anymore.