[Results] Higher Ed CMS Usage

By Michael Fienen

This is an interesting post, but I am frustrated by not knowing how many institutions were surveyed, what percentage of the total population this represents, what they were (schools only? colleges too?), when they were surveyed, and where they were surveyed from (U.S. only? Worldwide?). Yes, it’s probably buried in the the zip file containing the data, but this really information should be front and centre, presented first so I know how seriously to take the remainder of the information.

• Avatar image
    Michael Fienen (author) Says:

Well, luckily for you, that is an issue easily remedied. While I can’t necessarily help whether or not you take it seriously, I can certainly give some of those base metrics, which are now at the top of the post.

On a side note, if anyone is aware of any additional research on the topic specific to higher ed, drop a link to it so I can add that as well.

• Avatar image
    Todd Says:

I wish all the time and money spent on Content “Management” Systems was instead dedicated to the “creation” of great content. Putting crap in boxes doesn’t make the stink go away, it just makes it easier to find the source of odor.

Happy St Patrick’s Day!

• Avatar image
      Michael Fienen (author) Says:

Absolutely true. A CMS will never solve the issue of content quality, it only helps you identify various levels of crap that you have. People frequently make the jump from CMS to distributed content ownership by “content experts”. It *seems* logical. In reality, “content experts” are rarely experts at creating content. When choosing, implementing a CMS, it’s important at the same time to build a logical, coherent content strategy.

• Avatar image
    cliff Says:

Fienen-

Well done thanks for the information. This sure beats asking everyone what CMS they use… Which is probably one of the top questions asked of me at a meeting or conference.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

• Avatar image
    Tom Williams Says:

Michael, very good information. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to do the data gathering, massaging and visual reporting. I assume you used an online survey tool to do the gathering…what tool did you employ?

• Avatar image
      Michael Fienen (author) Says:

Actually, we just used a Google form for it. I’ve been really impressed with how they are maturing as a product. It’s not quite to the SurveyMonkey level of flexibility, but it’s absolutely useful with proper planning. I plan to continue using it in the future as much as possible.

• Avatar image
    Lacy Says:

Next time for the survey … I’d love to know a little more about the staffing of university web offices.

Great information … thanks so much for putting this together!

• Avatar image
    Khristine Says:

Michael, great information, thanks for sharing! As for ideas on other research.. Events calendars? Faculty/staff web space, Google sites?

I’m also a fan of Google Forms! We’ve recently used it for unofficial stuff, like showing our 30+ stakeholders why our homepage looks the way it does (in a roundabout way) https://tinyurl.com/clcpr02

Lacy, we are currently collecting higher ed web staffing information. If you take the survey and include your information, we’ll share results :)

• Avatar image
    David Hamilton Says:

Either I’m missing something, or there’s a mistake. “Also of note, nobody serving over one million pages a month reported using WordPress or Drupal.”

The results seem to indicate there are several schools reporting more than a million page views a month served from Drupal, including ours.

Thanks for pulling this together, lots of great data. Appreciate folks sharing as well.

• Avatar image
    Michael Fienen (author) Says:

Terribly sorry for that mistake. I double checked the data and you are absolutely right, three people are using Drupal in cases over one million page views a month. I have entered a correction into the article about that.

• Avatar image
    George Sackett Says:

Thank you Michael. I am sorry that I missed my opportunity to contribute to this project. Good work on your part.

As you know we are a Collage user and need to be looking for a replacement CMS - though I was told last week that even though it was in the budget our IT department does not have time to take on this project AND they will not let anyone else take the lead on it . . . This information will certainly help provide some guidance whenever I can get this project in motion.

• Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Friday Five: FYI edition | higher ed marketing says:

[...] The state of campus CMS. Good research results from a survey of content management systems as compiled by .eduguru’s Michael Fienen. Lots of data to sift through here. [...]

2. links for 2010-03-22 « innovations in higher education says:

[...] [Results] Higher Ed CMS Usage | .eduGuru (tags: cms highered research colleges universities statistics) [...]