I just read a post over on Eric Stoller’s blog about the many jobs that he has had. I thought what a great idea and a wonderful way for readers to know a little bit more about this guy who claims to be a .eduGuru! So Eric here’s responding to your question and to any readers, I think I might have a few of you out there, here is a little information about me.
Hats that I’ve worn
- Grocery store Bagger, Janitor, Stocker
- Dish washer
- Salkehatchie - From a camper all the way up through site director. Salkehatchie is like Habitat for Humanity except associated with the United Methodist Church. When you go for a week a year for ten years you work your way up from a lowly camper to a site director.
- Construction worker - That’s right I’ve operated a bulldozer, track hoe, back hoe, skid steer, packer, pan, and dump truck. In fact I learned how to drive a stick on a one ton truck.
- PC Bench Technician
- Cutco Knives Salesman
- Camp Counselor - running through the woods with kids from age 6-14 for a summer is much more than a job.
- IT Help Desk Technician
- IT Support Specialist
- Database Reporting and Web Programmer
- Dixie Youth Head Baseball Coach
- College Webmaster
- USSSA baseball Assistant Coach
This was a good refresher for myself, and it is about time I update my resume anyway. Looking back I’ve done a little bit of lots of things, but I definitely do not feel like a master of anything. Isn’t that a little ironic as my current job is “Webmaster”?
Just yesterday I helped a buddy of mine build a deck. It was definitely a lot of fun to get together and build something that I’m sure he will spend many afternoons enjoying. Unfortunately, I don’t feel like a professional carpenter. Fortunately, we built a solid deck that should be able to survive decades. So maybe there is value to having a construction hat ready whenever that skill is needed, just like some of the other hats that I keep.
In conclusion, maybe .eduGuru isn’t the most appropriate name for this blog?
So the challenge, should you choose to accept, is what various and different hats have you worn?