It’s taken me a little longer than I would have liked to get around to it, but I very much believe in looking back to review the past year and setting goals going forward. You do the same for your website and professional growth right? If not or even if you do hopefully you can get a few ideas from the notes below. Also leave a comment with any good suggestions for appraisal metrics that you use below.
2008 Recap by the Numbers
- 39,536 unique visitors
- 196 Blog Posts
- 1,200+ Comments
- 55,000+ Spam Comments caught by Akismet
- 600+ Subscribers
- 10,000+ Backlinks according to Yahoo! Site Explorer
- Visitors from 154 Countries/Territories
Traffic from 829 sites - Top 5
- Google - (Non Search)
- <uwebd/> Social network
- 14,853 visits by Search Engines (over 93% from Google)
- 9,855 different keywords in those visits (talk about long tail)
- 370+ blog reactions on Technorati (I think that means that many blog posts linked to .eduGuru)
2008 Recap Results
When I first started this blog in Januaryit was a one man shop. This site has come a long way so let’s look at some of those things.
- From a staff of one to six writers
- Inaugural member of BlogHighEd
- Presentations and coverages at major High Ed Web Conferences including eduWeb, HighEdWeb and Stamats
- Helped hundreds of readers network with each other
- Launched Guru Gear
I’m sure there are lots of smaller details, but all in all what a wonderful and extremely successfulfor this site! Oh how could I forget this blog had a big impact in helping me get my new job at HubSpot!
So what do we hope to accomplish in 2009? Well lots of wonderful things but here are some exciting things to look forward in the coming year.
- At least 200 posts in
- Redesigned site with easier access to the archives of excellent posts
- Increased networking opportunity - we haven’t fully flushed out all the details, but init is a goal to provide better ways to help our readers network with each other
- More Social - along with better networking we would like to make the site more socially active and new ways to engage readers
- More Presentations - We have a dream of every staff member presenting at a conference this year! So if you are planning to attend a Higher Education conference inhopefully you will get the opportunity to meet at least one of our excellent writers.
- 3,000 readers - Getting the ball rolling was the hard part. With six times the staff now we see no reason why we can’t grow our readership six fold.
- Impact your daily work - at the end of the day this is why we write. Knowing that something you read on this site influenced your decisions at work for the better are the highlight of any writers day. Let’s keep that magic working.
So that is it. Pretty simple right? It is hard to be more concrete looking forward because we as a staff have many decisions to make, but just writing some ideas down provides a measuring stick to look back through the year to make sure we are on the right path and attaining our goals.
Hopefully you are as excited aboutas we are… The possibilities are endless!