If you are new to Web Analytics and you are looking for a place to start. This is the resource that you have been looking for. Much has been written about the subject on this blog. Let’s see if we can’t put some organization to the information.
The below presentation will get you thinking, but all the posts below well be what truly turns you into an Analytics Rockstar!
Crash Course Introduction to Web Analytics
- Do Numbers Have Enough Value? - Understanding your Social reach and influence is an important piece to understand before just digging into data.
- Website Grader: A Quick Free Site Audit Tool - Website Grader will get you thinking and asking more questions about your analytics.
- Quick Explanation of Landing Pages & Bounce Rates - Landing pages are critical for handing campaign traffic and understanding Bounce Rates on this pages is the first piece.
- Pageviews is NOT a quality Metric - A little Rant of why you should be focusing on other metrics instead of Pageview.
- Using Redirectors for Campaign Measurement - Understanding that you can measure and track offline traffic is a huge part in understanding what is possible with analytics.
- A Comparison of 11 Free Analytics Solutions - A post comparing 11 free analytics solutions with data before finalizing on the power of Google Analytics which we discuss MUCH more in the next section.
All Things Google Analytics
- Google Analytics 101 - The crash course post to get you running before we dig any further.
- Is Google Analytics Installed Properly? - Some quick tools and resources to make sure your tracking code is installed properly.
- Google Site Search makes a great Usability Resource - Google Site Search can provide a wealth of knowledge, but you need to know how to read it.
- 7 Google Analytics Filters to check out - Need to segment and filter your traffic? These filters will help you get going.
- Destination URL Builder for Google Analytics - we’ve looked at redirecting traffic, but actually tagging URL’s for tracking is an important piece of the equation.
- Tracking and Tagging Tips for Google Analytics - This post will hopefully help to get you more comfortable with some of the more advanced features.
- Tracking Outbound Clicks in Google Analytics - Yes you can do this with a little extra
- Tracking Flash with Google Analytics - Yes Google Analytics can track flash also
- Advanced Segmentation: Google Analytics Newest Features - A practical Example of how to use Google Analytics newest feature Advanced Segmentation.
- Mobile Analytics: The Neglected Mutant Step Child - An overview of how to use Google Analytics to measure mobile traffic and avoid some of the pitfalls of using it over a paid solution.
Case Studies and Putting Everything Together
- Web Analytics 2.0, Leveraging the Quantitivative and Qualitative Data - Anaytics goes beyond the hard numbers of your site. it stretches beyond.
- LinkedIn Alumni Group Campaign - A case study showing how bringing the analytics into a campaign helps to measure success.
- Creating a Custom 404 Error Page - This is great for the user experience, but also something you can analyze to make things better.
- Wofford’s President Viral Campaign - Measuring success online isn’t always as straight forward as crunching numbers in reports.
- Email Beats out Social Media & Print - Practical example that looks at how Email Marketing beats out other medium when communicating with Young Alumni.
- How the Final Four Affects Website Traffic - Davidson’s cindarella march through the NCAA tournament in 2007 also had positive impact on the instutitions website traffic.
- Email Marketing results in Higher Traffic to a Website - This Case Study looks at how email marketing can drive traffic to a website and be measured.
Some other Sections to check out
Top Web Analytics Blogs
- Occam’s Razor - This blog by Google’s very own Avinash Kaushik is a must add to the feed-reader. Avinash wrote “Web Analytics: An Hour A Day” which is a must read book in Analytics circles. Read any post on his blog and you will feel like a smarter individual. MUST READ.
- Trending Updwards - Fellow Higher Education Blogger Shelby Thayer is a Web Analytics guru and gives her perspective and tips for the Higher Education Community.
- The Official Google Analytics Blog - this blog is surprising updated quite regularly and every gem posted is must know material.
- Analytics Talk - This blog is only posted to when something really helpful or important comes out so it’s something to add to the feed-reader for those really important tips when they come out.
- Web Analytics World - Although this blog isn’t specifically about Google Analytics the author, Manoj Jasra, does a great job of regularly summarizing some of the industry news in the analytics world.